The biggest event of the world sporting calendar for 2012 the forthcoming Summer Olympics in London.
The Bulgarian audience is impatiently expecting the opening of the Olympic Games. 40% of respondents declared that surely will follow the race in London on the TV. Another 36% said they would watch the Olympics if they have a chance. 24% even say they are not interested in sports and the Olympics are of no interest to them. This is the result of a national representative survey of the National Centre for Public Opinion Research (NCPOR) carried out in the middle of July.
53% of men declare that they will surely watch the broadcasts of the Olympics, and another 35% say they will probably watch. Only 12% of men are not interested.
One third of women are not interested in the Olympic Games, but more women are those who intend to watch the broadcasts. 29% said that surely will be before the TV screen, and 39% said that if possible they would refuse to watch broadcasts of the games.
Great interest in the upcoming Olympics show educated Bulgarians, urban residents, residents in district centers, employment in business and young people.
Interest in the Summer Olympics exceeded the national average among people aged between 30 and 60 years.
Lower interest in broadcasts of the Summer Olympics in London show respondents aged over 60, low educated and poor Bulgarians and people who live the villagers and Roma people.
Most Bulgarians have manifested a preference for certain sports that are included in the program of the Summer Olympics in London. Only 9% say they do not prefer a particular sport and watch everything they can.
The study outlined that Bulgarian audience is interested in 21 different sports.
The interest of the Bulgarian audience in the upcoming Olympics is governed by the traditions that our country has in some sports, and recently won successes.
Athletics is mentioned first by 37% of viewers, followed by volleyball, whose TV fans this Olympics amounted to 30%.
The answers to the open question show that interest in athletics is focused mainly on the sprint races and jumps - high, long and triple jump.
Fans of volleyball are more common among men, among highly educated Bulgarians, including residents of the capital and people among the wealthy people.
Bulgarian sports fans will follow with great interest and competition in rhythmic gymnastics - traditionally successful and beloved sport in the country. 14% (among whom women predominate) intend to watch broadcasts of the Olympic rhythmic gymnastics, as their interest appears to be influenced by the international success of Bulgarian gymnasts lately. Rhythmic gymnastics will be watched by the increased interest from the elderly people, by educated Bulgarians and urban residents.
14% of respondents say they will watch programs in swimming and 12% - at football. Especially great is the interest in sport among both groups of respondents who say they will surely follow by the TV the great sporting event. One fifth of permanent television audience of the upcoming Olympics is fond of football and 16% - of swimming.
Swimming is a favorite sport of women, young viewers under 39 years of age, of graduates, residents of the capital and major cities.
Football attracts most men, people aged to 60 years, business representatives and residents of the capital.
Other sports for which there is significant interest are: artistic gymnastics (8%), basketball (7%), weightlifting (6%), fighting (5%), tennis (4 %) and boxing (4% ).