CONNECTED ARTICLES

AFP: Spain terror suspects arrive in Madrid court

AFP: Spain terror suspects arrive in Madrid court

22 August 2017 | 10:03 | FOCUS News Agency
Madrid. Four men suspected of involvement in the terror cell that carried out twin attacks in Spain arrived in a Madrid court Tuesday, an AFP journalist said, where they could be charged, AFP reported.
Under heavy security, police vans entered the National Court, which deals with terrorism cases, where a judge will question them and decide what - if any - charges to press against them over the vehicle attacks that left 15 dead and 120 injured.

Open in new tab
прочети затвори

Reuters: Barcelona attacker stabbed man to death during escape: police

Reuters: Barcelona attacker stabbed man to death during escape: police

21 August 2017 | 18:00 | FOCUS News Agency
Barcelona. Spain asked the rest of Europe to join the hunt for a young man thought to have been the driver in last week's deadly van attack in Barcelona as police said on Monday that he had also hijacked a car and killed its occupant during his escape, Reuters reports.

After driving at high speed into crowds on the city's famous avenue Las Ramblas last Thursday, killing 13 people, the suspected Islamist militant fled on foot and then hijacked the car as it was being parked, stabbing the driver to death, police said.

The suspect, Moroccan-born Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22, then drove the hijacked car through a police checkpoint, police said. It was later found abandoned, with the man's body inside.

Spanish magistrates have sought a Europe-wide arrest warrant for Abouyaaqoub, a judicial source said. Police say he may have crossed the border into France, amid fragments of evidence that appear to link the Barcelona attack's plotters to the country.

"We have no evidence that he crossed the border, we don't think it would have been easy but we cannot rule out that he didn't cross any border," Josep Lluis Trapero, head of regional police in Catalonia, told a news conference.

Abouyaaqoub is the only one of 12 men who is still at large. His mother, Hannou Ghanimi, appealed at the weekend for her son to give himself, saying she would rather see him in prison than end up dead.

Four people have been arrested so far in connection with the attacks: three Moroccans and a citizen of Spain's North African enclave of Melilla. They will be taken to the high court in Madrid, which has jurisdiction over terrorism matters

Abouyaaqoub lived in Ripoll, a town north of Barcelona, close to French border.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the Barcelona attack as well as a separate deadly attack hours later in the coastal resort town of Cambrils, south of Barcelona.

In Cambrils, a car crashed into passers-by and its occupants got out and tried to stab people. Five suspects were shot dead, while a Spanish woman died in the attack.
Open in new tab
прочети затвори

AFP: Death toll in Spain attacks rises to 15

AFP: Death toll in Spain attacks rises to 15

21 August 2017 | 14:55 | FOCUS News Agency
Barcelona. The death toll in Spain's terror attacks has risen to 15, Catalonia's regional minister Joaquim Forn told reporters on Monday, as a victim found stabbed dead in a car in Barcelona was linked to the case, AFP reported.
"We are raising the number of victims from 14 to 15 to include the victim in the vehicle found in Sant Just," he told journalists.

Open in new tab
прочети затвори

AFP: Spanish police say driver of Barcelona rampage van identified

AFP: Spanish police say driver of Barcelona rampage van identified

21 August 2017 | 10:41 | FOCUS News Agency
Barcelona. Spanish police said Monday that they had identified the driver of the van that mowed down pedestrians on the busy Las Ramblas boulevard in Barcelona, killing 13, AFP reported.
Police in Catalonia announced the identification on Twitter, without giving his name. But Catalonia's regional interior minister Joaquim Forn told local radio that "everything suggests the van driver is Younes Abouyaaqoub".
Open in new tab
прочети затвори

Reuters: Police say cannot rule out that suspect in Barcelona attacks may have crossed to France

Reuters: Police say cannot rule out that suspect in Barcelona attacks may have crossed to France

20 August 2017 | 14:42 | FOCUS News Agency
BARCELONA. The chief of police in Catalonia said on Sunday he could not rule out that the last suspect still believed to be at large in the Barcelona attacks may have crossed to France, Reuters reports.

"We don't have any specific information on this but it cannot be ruled out," Josep Lluis Trapero told a news conference in Barcelona, adding that border checks had been reinforced immediately after the attacks.

Trapero also said he could not confirm who was the driver of the van that killed 13 people in Barcelona.
Open in new tab
прочети затвори

Reuters: Police says one man still sought after Barcelona attacks

Reuters: Police says one man still sought after Barcelona attacks

20 August 2017 | 13:14 | FOCUS News Agency
MADRID. The Catalonia police on Sunday said investigators were still working on the hypothesis of 12 suspects in the Barcelona attacks that took place on Thursday and that one man was still sought, Reuters reports.

Speaking to local radio, spokesman Albert Oliva said this man was Moroccan-born 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub.

He also said he could not confirm whether more than one person had died in a house blast in the town of Alcanar on Wednesday.

"It could be one, two or three," Oliva said.
Open in new tab
прочети затвори

Sky News: Police raids home of imam who is thought to have masterminded Barcelona terror attack

Sky News: Police raids home of imam who is thought to have masterminded Barcelona terror attack

19 August 2017 | 22:59 | FOCUS News Agency
Sofia. Police have raided the flat of an imam who they believe may have radicalised the Barcelona and Cambrils attackers.

It is reported that Abdelbaki es Satty is the ringleader of the terror cell and is responsible for directing the terrorists to commit the attacks in Spain which killed 14 people.

Es Satty was reportedly last seen on Tuesday and is said to be about 40 years old, but one line of inquiry being pursued by police is that he may have been killed in an explosion in Alcanar on Wednesday night.

His flatmate told newspaper La Vanguardia that es Satty left his home on Tuesday because he was going to Morocco, and did not hear from him again.A search warrant seen by Reuters confirms the flat which was raided by police belonged to a man named Abdelbaki es Satty, Sky News reports.

He started teaching in mosques in his local area of Ripoll in 2015 and was part of the local Muslim community, but his neighbours told El Pais his teachings about Islam were not radical.

They said he taught Moroccan-dialect Arabic to children and was very reserved.Pictures have emerged of the inside of es Satty's flat, which show scraps of paper covered in notes strewn around, a picture of a mosque on the wall and a mattress on the living room floor.

Speaking anonymously, a police official said investigators believed es Satty might have been a second fatal victim of a botched bomb-making operation in a house south of Barcelona on Wednesday.

Emergency services had already said that one person died and another was injured in a blast that destroyed the building.Police believe the house in Alcanar was being used as a makeshift bomb factory to plan the attacks in Barcelona, possibly using large butane gas canisters in even larger-scale attacks.

El Espanol said one plan may have been to drive a van packed with explosives into Gaudi's towering Sagrada Familia basilica in Barcelona.

The unfinished church is one of Spain's most visited monuments, with more than four million tourists last year.

Head of Catalonia's police, Josep Lluis Trapero, said earlier that the explosion had forced terrorists to scrap their original plan.
Open in new tab
прочети затвори

Reuters: Catalan leaders: Barcelona attack won't derail independence drive

Reuters: Catalan leaders: Barcelona attack won't derail independence drive

18 August 2017 | 23:14 | FOCUS News Agency
BARCELONA/MADRID. Catalonia's leaders said on Friday that a deadly van attack in their capital, Barcelona, would not affect plans to hold an October referendum in the northeastern region on breaking away from the rest of Spain, Reuters reports.

Thirteen people were killed when a van plowed into crowds in central Barcelona on Thursday afternoon. Another woman died on Friday from injuries she sustained in a attempted attack hours later in the Catalan resort of Cambrils, which police said they thwarted by shooting dead five suspects.

The attacks come at a time of increasing tension between Madrid and Barcelona before the planned plebiscite on Oct.1, which the central government aims to block through the courts on the grounds that it goes against Spain's constitution.

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and Catalonia's regional leader Carles Puigdemont put on a rare united front on Friday at a joint news conference, after making separate televised addresses the night before.

But signs of the strained relations between the affluent, populous region and Madrid authorities were still apparent.

Asked in a radio interview about an editorial in leading Spanish daily El Pais which called on Catalan parties to "return to reality" after the attacks, Puigdemont said: "Mixing up our priority now, which is to respond to the terrorist threat and attend to victims, with anything seems just vile to me.
Open in new tab
прочети затвори

PICTURE OF THE DAY

VIDEO OF THE DAY
Home | Services | Archive | Partners | Banners | Radio Adds | About Us | Disclaimer | Contacts |
© 2017 FOCUS Information Agency The content published by Focus Information Agency and the technologies, used on its website, are protected by the Copyright and Neighbouring Rights Act. All the text, audio and video materials, photos, and graphics, published in the database, are property of Focus Information Agency, unless otherwise provided. The USERS and SUBSCRIBERS are under the obligation to use the materials from the database according to Focus Information Agency’s General Terms and Conditions as well as the applicable law of the Republic of Bulgaria.